Canberra City Uniting Church is based in 69 Northbourne Avenue, on the corner with Rudd St, close to the Civic centre in Canberra, ACT, Australia. The church consists of three main worshipping communities meeting on Sundays, 10 am (Traditional), 2 pm Toe Talatalanoa (Tongan) and 5.30 City at Night (Contemporary). A midweek communion and meditation service is held on Thursdays, 1.10pm to 1.45pm. The church hosts a conference centre, used by businesses throughout the week, the UnitingCare Early Morning Centre, supporting those affected by homelessness, and a Student House in Campbell, supporting tertiary students. Members are actively involved in ministry with prisoners at Alexander Maconochie Centre.
69 Northbourne Avenue, Canberra
GPO Box 1526, Canberra, ACT 2601
02 6257 4600
office at canberracityuca.org.au
City Church Uniting began as a Fellowship of Congregationalists in 1929. Congregational worship began at the YWCA Civic Centre. In 1940, the present church site was allocated for use by the Canberra Congregational Fellowship. A church hall was opened on this site on 6 December 1952 and kindergarten extensions were added in 1953. The Canberra Congregational National Memorial Church, with substantial assistance from Congregationalists throughout Australia, was opened on 14 November 1959. The Uniting Church in Australia came into being on 22 June, 1977. It flowed from the union of Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches. This Church then became known as the Canberra City Uniting Church. In 1985 the church and hall were demolished to make way for the present church and office building. The new church and other facilities were opened on 20 February, 1988.