A service of closure was conducted on Sunday 18th March by Presbytery Co-Chair, John Williams, at the historic Bombala Uniting Church, formally Methodist Church, 57 Maybe Street Bombala. This was just prior to a special Service of worship at Currawarna, where the Bombala congregation of the Uniting Church will continue with monthly services. John has shared some photos taken on the day.
Special thanks go to:
- Geoff Percival (Chair of Cooma Church Council) who worked behind the scenes to pull all the organisation together so that the Bombala story happened on the day,
- Kay Coates (holding the Christ candle) and Robyn Wrenford (holding the 1873 Bible) who spent hours cleaning up the church for the closure ceremonies,
- The contingent of some ten people from Cooma who provided support – the first image in the slideshow above shows them having a coffee and lunch together in Bombala prior to the ceremonies.
Some history: This is an early image of the old church which opened its doors in 1873. Items have been salvaged and will appear in the Chapel at Currawarna.
A record of the 70th anniversary of Methodism in Bombala and the opening of the church in 1873 can be read below.